We are proud to present this programme, which will be introduced by Gerald Weber from Sixpackfilm, the leading Austrian organization for artists moving image.
.Schmidt made numerous films from 1963 onwards. He had countless screenings, including at Berlin Film Festival, Centre Pompidou, Art Fair Basel and the Viennale. Co-founder of the Austria Filmmakers Cooperative in 1968 (together with Hans Scheugl, Valie Export, Peter Weibel, Kurt Kren, Gottfried Schlemmer). Together with Hans Scheugl he wrote the most comprehensive book about avant-garde Eine Subgeschichte des Films in 1974. Schmidt died in 1988.
This anthology includes 20 films with lengths from 1 second to 10 minutes and is based on the experience of 15 years of work with the film medium. Films 15) to 19) are documentaries of happenings of the Viennese actionists, including the sensational action at the Viennese University in 1968, which led to the arrest of the “ringleaders” Brus, Muehl and Wiener and to the emigration of the Viennese actionists. Total running time: 70mins.
1) Ja/Nein (Yes/No) 1968, 16mm, b/w, silent, 3 min.
2) Weiß (White) 1968, 16mm, b/w, silent, 2 min.
3) Prost (Cheers) 1968, 16mm, b/w, silent, 3 min
4) Rotweißrot (Red-white-red) 1967, 16mm, color, sound, 1 min.
5) Schnippschnapp (Snip, snip) 1968, 16mm, b/w, sound, 2 Min. In collaboration with Peter Weibel
6) Filmisches Alphabet (Film Alphabet) 1971, 16mm, b/w, silent, ca. 1 sec.
7) Burgtheater (Imperial Theater) 1970, 16mm, b/w, silent, 6 min.
8) Gesammelt von Wendy (Collected by Wendy) 1979, 16mm, color, silent, 2 min.
9) Eine Subgeschichte des Films (A Sub-history of Film) 1974, 16mm, b/w, silent, 2 min.
10) Denkakt (The Act of Thinking) 1968, 16mm, b/w, sound, 3 min. Text, speaker and actor: Peter Weibel
11) Mein Begräbnis ein Erlebnis (My Funeral an Experience) 1977, 16mm, b/w, silent, 1 min. Actress: Sara Suranyi.
12) 12 Uhr Mittags – High Noon 1977, 16mm, color, sound, 4 min Actress. Sara Suranyi, Music: Wolfgang Ernst.
13) The Merry Widow 1977, 16mm, b/w, sound, 1 min. Actress: Sara Suranyi; Music: Wolfgang Ernst.
14) Gertrude Stein hätte Chaplin gerne in einem Film gesehen, in dem dieser nichts anderes zu tun hätte, als eine Straße entlang und dann um eine Ecke zu gehen, darauf die nächste Ecke zu umwandern usw. von Ecke zu Ecke (Gertrude Stein would have liked to have seen Chaplin in a film where he would have nothing other to do than walk on the street and then go around a corner, and then around the next corner, etc. From corner to corner) 1979, 16mm, b/w, silent, 3 min. Actress: Brigitte Kowanz.
15) N 1978, 16mm, b/w, sound, 6 min.
16) Kunst & Revolution (Art & Revolution) 1968, 16mm, color & b/w, silent, 2 min. Actions by: Günter Brus, Otto Muehl Peter Weibel, Oswald Wiener, an unidentified masochist.
17) Bodybuilding 1965, 16mm, c, sound, 9 min. Material actions: Otto Muehl
18) Einszweidrei (Onetwothree)1965-68, 16mm, color, silent, 10 min. Actions: Otto Muehl Günter Brus, Peter Weibel, Valie Export.
19) Filmreste 1966, 16mm, b/w, sound, 10 min. Material actions: Otto Muehl.
20) Farbfilm (Color Film)1967, 16mm, color, sound, 30 sec.